Window AC vs Split AC is the dilemma that one has been once in his life. Even today, people debate whether it is better to buy a split ac or a window ac.
Most of us choose a split ac is said to consume less electricity and blend well with the modern architecture of our home.
Even though split ACs provide better features than a window AC comparatively, people still believe window AC to be a better option.
- Difference between a window AC and split AC.
- Which one is better, window AC or split AC?
- Finally, help you decide choosing Window split ac or split AC.
So, what is that you should consider when buying an AC? Let’s find out.
Difference Between Window AC and Split AC?
Split AC and window AC are the two options for air cooling small areas such as bedrooms and workplaces.
They’re both distinct in terms of appearance and pricing.
Install an AC depending on the amount of space available for installation and the area to be cooled.
But, what exactly is the difference between a window AC and a split AC? Let us learn by knowing more about each of them individually.
Window AC is a primary AC unit used for homes and offices.
It is a single unit that contains all of the parts and components in a single box or case.
This type of AC is often installed or mounted in a window and connects to a standard electrical socket.
A split unit air conditioner has two independent units: water or air-cooled condensing unit (or outside unit) and an air handling unit (or indoor unit).
The outside unit mounts on or near the wall outside the room.
The compressor, condenser coil, and expansion coil or capillary tube are all housed in this unit.
The cooling coil, a long blower, and an air filter are all housed in the streamlined indoor unit.
Here is a chart to help you quickly judge the difference between window ac and split ac:
|Window Ac||Split Ac|
|Design||Heat exchangers, compressors, motors and connecting pipes are placed in a single box or case||Consists of 2 units – Indoor Unit & Outdoor unit|
|Space Requirement||Takes up less space.||Takes up more space compared to a Window AC.|
|Installation||Easy to install.||May require professional help for installation.|
|Cooling Capacity||0.75 ton to 2.5 ton||0.8 to 3 ton|
|Application||Single rooms in apartments, small offices, (of less than 300 sq. ft. in size) etc.||Can be used for cooling large rooms, commercial and office spaces.|
|Noise||Observed relatively on the higher side.||Known for its minimal noise.|
|Maintenance and Serviceability||Easy to service as all components are compactly designed.||Trouble-shooting may require technical help.|
|Components and Parts||Compressor, condenser, expansion valve and other components work as a single unit that is cuboids in shape.||Compressor and condenser are part of an external unit while the evaporative coil is part of the indoor AHU (Air Handling Unit).|
|Energy Consumption||Typically consume more electricity.||Consume less electricity.|
|Price||Very economical. Installation costs are low as well.||Can cost more. Installation costs may be more as well.|
Window AC vs Split AC
Choosing between a window AC and a split AC is hard, and it’s vital to understand the distinctions since they can affect the price you spend.
Everything you need to know is right here.
Window AC contains the condenser, compressor, expansion valve or coil, evaporator, cooling coil, and other components in a small portable box.
The outside unit and the indoor unit make up a split air conditioner. The compressor, condenser, and expansion valve are in the outdoor unit. On the other hand, the capillary tube (expansion element), evaporator, and cooling fan are inside.
Because a window air conditioner is a single unit, its size is proportionate to its tonnage capacity.
The higher the capacity, the bigger the size.
As a result, window air conditioners are only available in capacities of up to 2 tonnes.
Split ac, on the other hand, has an exterior unit (ODU) that does the actual cooling and can be of any size since it is mounted outside.
As a result, there is no tonnage restriction on them.
You do not need a skilled worker to install a window AC. Still, Window AC installation has its own set of problems.
A window AC requires a bigger opening in which AC could fit. It gets even harder to convince your landlord to let you install one if you live in a rented apartment.
Split air conditioners only need a 3′′ hole to link IDU to ODU for piping to flow through, and that hole is concealed behind the IDU. As a result, the entire project is flawless.
The best thing about having a split air conditioner is that you may put its IDU anywhere inside the mentioned company’s limits.
The size of the room determines the capacity of the window air conditioner. The window air conditioner comes in sizes ranging from 0.75 to 2.5 tonnes.
Your room determines the capacity of your split AC. Split air conditioners come in sizes ranging from 0.8 to 3 tonnes.
Single rooms in apartments and small offices (of less than 300 sq. ft. in size) are an easy fit for window ACs.
Split AC is better efficient in cooling large rooms, and commercial and office spaces.
A split ac is extremely silent than a window air conditioner. On the other hand, a Window AC is noisy even when not under heavy load.
The compressor produces most of the noise, and in a window AC, the compressor and the blower are one unit.
Split ACs are different because the inner and outside mechanisms are distinct. Since the compressor outside makes the split ac the quietest of the two.
Maintenance and Serviceability
The choice between window AC vs split AC in terms of maintenance is a no-brainer.
Window air conditioners are often low-maintenance electrical appliances that are easy to maintain due to their compact size.
Split ACs another hand, require service at regular intervals with the assistance of an expert or professional. A split ac is hard to troubleshoot than window air conditioners.
Comparing the energy consumption of window and split air conditioners is pointless because similarly rated units consume an equivalent amount of energy.
Split ACs have a far higher 5-star rating than window air conditioners. They offer you a better choice of products.
Furthermore, in terms of AC efficiency old ac models aren’t as forgiving. Modern window and split AC models with inverter technology use less electricity than their non-inverter counterparts.
The BEE rating of the appliance and the compressor technology used determine a lot in the window AC vs split AC comparison.
The first thing that separates the two is the price thus, having a priorly set budget is crucial.
You may pick the sort of air conditioner you want based on your budget, but remember to factor in installation and maintenance costs.
Window air conditioners are often less expensive than split air conditioners for the same capacity, in the window AC vs split AC price battle. It applies to maintenance, as window air conditioners are less expensive.
Window AC vs Split AC: Which is better?
Here are the advantages and disadvantages you are going to have from each of the ACs. It will help you decide which one is better.
Window AC Advantages
- To keep carbon dioxide levels below 700 parts per million, an open vent on a window air conditioner lets fresh air from outside enter inside and circulate with the cold air created by the unit.
- Window air conditioners are simple to install. Except for carpenter/fabricator work on the window frame, it does not require specialized workers. In modern homes, windows are already designed likewise to install window ACs.
- Window air conditioners are simple to service and maintain.
- This air conditioner takes up lesser room in your home. If you live in a small house or need to cool a small space this is a huge benefit.
- The water from these units will drain to the outside without any additional intervention.
Window AC Disadvantages
- Because of the compressor included in the cooling unit, window air conditioners are noisier than split air conditioners.
- It blocks a portion of the home window and decreases natural light.
- The window units are likewise not particularly attractive.
- Due to window air conditioner design can chill only one room and does not perform effectively in bigger spaces.
- The water from these units might be dripping somewhere you don’t want it to, such as pedestrians or a rusted metal roof.
- This type of air conditioner is prone to rust.
Split AC Advantages
- The main benefit of split air conditioning is that it can be positioned practically anywhere without blocking sunlight or windows.
- Because the condenser is outside, the indoor unit produces very little noise (50db) inside the conditioned room.
- You can set specifically to chill certain areas of your home.
- Variety of options are available for floor and ceiling.
- It creates an air pattern, resulting in equal cooling across the space.
Split AC Disadvantages
- A skilled person is required to install split ac.
- Split AC is usually silent on the inside. A split system air conditioner’s external compressor may be rather loud.
- It is slightly more costly than window air conditioning. Approximately 10% to 20%, depending on capacity and companies.
- Installing split air conditioners may necessitate some remodeling work, such as drilling holes in walls for the condenser, which is costly and time-consuming.
- It requires some outside unit space.
- Indoor unit drains must be correctly arranged, or it will become a headache for you. Since split units do not provide fresh air, CO2 levels may rise.
We can infer from the above comparison of Window AC vs Split AC that both ACs are relatively comparable, but they have different aesthetics, design, and pricing.
The size of the space and how and where you want to install an air conditioner are the common factors to consider.
And finally of course, there is also the budget to consider.
Window ACs, on the other hand, are becoming outdated owing to excessive noise, restriction of sunshine, aesthetics, and non-uniform cooling.
But still people tight on budget or other reason still prefer a window AC over a split AC. Do check our recommended best window AC list to assist you in finding the right option for you.
We hope that our efforts will assist you in picking the best air conditioner for your needs.